
Casa Del Conte Verde
8 Via Fratelli Piol Rivoli
The Conte Verde House is Located in the oldest part of Rivoli's historic center, the house faces the narrowest section of Via Piol, the main and most animated artery of the village. The façade rises on three levels, highlighted by two horizontal cornices that span the entire elevation.
The Casa del Conte Verde, a historic building used as a multipurpose center, can now host various events, such as exhibitions conferences, vernissages and more. The Casa del Conte Verde consists of exhibition spaces, conference room and bookshop.
Amadeus VI of Savoy: the great Green Count
Amadeus VI was Count of the Savoy dynasty and Count of Aosta and Moorish between 1343 and 1383. He was one of the fathers of the great Savoy kingdom and proved his valor in battle.
He was born in Chambéry in 1334 to Aimon of Savoy known as Aimon the Pacific and Violante Paleologa. Amadeus VI lived a complicated childhood being orphaned by both parents at the age of nine. His mother Violante died in 1342 from complications during childbirth while his father Aimone died in 1343. Both were buried in Altacomba Abbey.
Amadeus succeeded his father at a very young age and received the support of his cousins Louis II of Vaud and Amadeus III of Genevra, who ruled the county until he came of age.
From a young age he distinguished himself by his skill with the sword and his tenacity. He participated in numerous tournaments and on this occasion was given the nickname "Green Count."
Amadeus VI, in fact, used to dress in green and his banners were also always green. Hence the crowds cheering him on at tournaments gave him this appellation. The fame of the "Green Count" grew even after his accession to the throne so that Amadeus VI continued to dress in green.
He is credited with the prosperity of the House of Savoy in the medieval era and the creation of the highest Savoy honor: the Supreme Order of the Most Holy Annunciation.
Amadeus VI distinguished himself through military exploits and a skillful foreign policy. In 1355 he signed with John the Good King of France the Treaty of Paris. In an exchange of territories that benefited the House of Savoy he gradually developed what was later called the county of Piedmont.
In 1365 he was appointed imperial vicar for Savoy and received as a gift from the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV of Luxembourg some dioceses in what is now Switzerland and territories in what is now Piedmont.
His expansionist aims thus led him to obtain Cuneo Santhia and Biella. Amadeus VI also acquired from his cousin Catherine of Savoy-Vaud, all rights over the Vaud region, today's Swiss canton.
With him Piedmont experienced a period of strong development and military glory that laid the foundation for the future Savoy kingdom.
A shrewd warrior and able ruler, Amadeus VI of Savoy did not limit himself to the internal growth of his region. In fact, his fame extended beyond Piedmont's borders.
Between 1358 and 1372 he participated in a Crusade in support of his cousin John V Paleologus against the Turks and Bulgarians in the Eastern Wars. Amadeus VI thus saved the future Byzantine emperor from captivity by routing the troops of the Bulgarian za Ivan Alexander of Bulgaria.
In addition, Count Green supported Robert of Geneva, future Clement VII during the Western Schism that began in 1378.
Amadeus VI, however, is remembered not only for his skills as a skilled warrior but also for his wisdom. An impartial arbiter, he intervened during the War of Chioggia that pitted the Republic of Genoa and the Republic of Venice against each other. The clash that took place between 1378 and 1381 ended with the 1381 Peace of Turin thanks to the intervention of the Count of Savoy.
Then intervening in support of the King of Naples, Louis II of Anjou, Amadeus VI was struck by the plague at Santo Stefano di Campobasso. He died on March 1, 1383, at San Giovanni in Galdo. Count Verde was buried in the Savoy Mausoleum at Altacomba Abbey.
Another great merit attributed to Amadeus VI of Savoy was the creation of FERT, the Savoy motto. FERT made its appearance in 1364. After founding the Order of the Collar, a chivalric order, created at a tournament, Amadeus VI made all members wear a collar bearing the inscription FERT.
One of the best-known interpretations tells us that the initials FERT stood for FORTITUFO EIUS RHODUM TENUIT, which translated from Latin carries the following words: His strength preserved Rhodes. This interpretation, however, is tied to the legend, as there are no historiographical references that ascertain the passage of the Savoy to Rhodes
Another interpretation, on the other hand, translates the abbreviation FERT as FORTITUDO ET ROBUR TAURINENSIS, or: the strength and robustness of Turin.
There is, of course, no certainty about the meaning of FERT which could also just mean Fortitude or Endure but we know that from that time on it would be the motto of the House of Savoy.
The Order of the Collar created by Amadeus VI was later replaced by Charles II of Savoy in 1518 who changed the name to the Order of the Most Holy Annunciation.
Not everyone knows the reason why our national soccer team plays in blue and is called for this reason: the Azzurri. The cause is to be found precisely in the 1300s. In fact, Amadeus VI left in support of his cousin and future Byzantine emperor John V Paleologus had a blue flag hoisted on the galley that sailed to the East.
There is no certainty that he was the first to use the color blue alongside the red and white standard of the Savoy, but from that moment on it will always be present in Savoy history.
In fact, from that moment on, this juxtaposition of the Savoy coat of arms and blue will be born, which will be carried on until the birth of the Kingdom of Italy.
Savoy blue became, thus, the Italian national color even with the birth of the Italian Republic in 1946.
In fact, we still find in the presidential banner a Savoy blue border that frames the coat of arms of the President of the Republic.
A statue of Amedeo VI of Savoy towers in front of Palazzo Civico, the seat of the City of Turin. It was commissioned by the House of Savoy in 1848 from Pelagio Pelagio to commemorate the victorious battle against the Turks by Count Green. It was inaugurated, only, in 1853 by the future king of Italy Victor Emmanuel II.